Career Plan and Goals:
Stage one: Test the waters(take what I can get).
Continue work experience and gain contacts.
Stage two: Get sponsored.
Try to get a sponsored job in England in prop making for a year. So preferably a prop shop. I would like to force my way into a small and personal company because there would be a broader range of work. I am also quite big on model making so I’d like to find one that does both.
Stage three: Take it over seas.
Move back to America and continue my film prop making and model making there.
- Develop a web presence. So a blog, twitter, whatever it takes.
- Create one kick ass portfolio of work I would enjoy doing.
- Research how the industry works in America, Move there.
- Work on 3D models and maquettes.
- Start a workshop that makes small scale things like maquettes for larger marketing companies.
20 dream jobs.
Plowman Craven & Associates
Jim Henson’s Creature shop
The Glue Factory
Spur Creative Workshop
Spur Creative Workshop
New Deal Studios
Unit 5, West Wales Business Park
Pembrokeshire SA67 7ES
Markus Blee (elstree thing)
1 Prinsep Road, Hove, East Sussex BN3 7AB
office: 0203 427 2224
mobile: 0787 893 2243
This is an updated C.V. done with the aid of Harriet.
And an application filled out for Autodromo Ltd.
Cover letter I used later for all 12 companies I emailed.
This cover letter I just used for them all and just changed the names on them. I was going for more of a quantity over quality kind of approach. But hey I still got plenty of results.
And updated C.V.
Images I included in emails:
I emailed and sent an application in the post to 12 places. I weighed the quality with distance from me to decide which ones to contact.
1. Autodromo ltd: http://www.autodromo.co.uk/
2. Alchemy 3dc: http://www.alchemy3dc.co.uk/
Jamie – 07786905376 Jason – 07767250088
3. DB props: http://www.dbprops.co.uk/
Dean and Phillip – 01932592733
4. Creatures Inc. Ltd: http://creaturesinc.com/
02089048825 02088401168 07799035738
5. Models and Effects: http://www.modelsandeffects.co.uk/
6. Plunge Productions: http://www.plungeproductions.com/
Tim Simpson – 01273421819
7. Robert Allsop and Associates: http://www.raprops.com/home/splash01.htm
Robert – 02086544391
8. SFX GB LTD: http://www.sfxgbltd.co.uk/
Neal Champion – 01932592416
9. Whetton and Grosch: http://www.whettonandgrosch.co.uk/
10. Evolution VFX: http://evolutionvfx.com/
Richard – 07957142635 02083329633
11. Custom Creations: http://themodelmaker.co.uk/
Daniel – no number
12. Aztec Modelmakers: http://www.aztec-modelmakers.co.uk/
Alan and Robert Smith – 02089772010
Plunge Productions offered paid work for one week. They called me before I even knew they had received my application in the post. Very positive.
Evolution VFX also called after I had left a message. They wanted to squeeze me in, but I had already accepted plunge’s offer. They told me to call back anytime.
DB props. I called and they said they loved my letter and would look for a place to put me in the coming weeks.
Models and Effects called me after I left them a message and offered me a job in oxford with paid hotel for 2 weeks.
SFX GB LTD. answered the phone but had no jobs going on at the moment.
Robert Allsop and Associates asked for a larger portfolio which I sent and then didn’t respond.
Alchemy 3DC doesn’t do work experience.
Whetton and Grosch don’t do work experience.
I never received a response from Creatures Inc. Ltd., Autodromo, or Custom Creations.
Work experience completed:
So far I’ve done two weeks at Elstree Studios on Last Day on Mars and one week at Plunge Productions.
I’ve received a request from a friend to make a D20 container. This is what he initially requested:
“Hey I was thinking about your offer. Could you make me a D20, possibly made out of clay or something of the like. About the size of a baseball, hollow on the inside with the top half being removable.” – Dylan Johnson
Because he didn’t have a perfect vision he allowed me to design everything else. I have been giving him updates via my website and facebook to ensure that he is happy with my work. He agreed to pay me materials and shipping.
I also started a new website for blogging projects with my portfolio and C.V.